Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
We are always searching for skilled and enthusiastic volunteers!
Individuals who get involved with CMHA Toronto play a crucial role in our organization and in enhancing the well-being of our community.
Your support helps us improve the lives of people living with mental health and/or addiction challenges and we truly appreciate the dedication and initiative of those who unselfishly contribute their time and energy.
CMHA Toronto screens and places volunteers on an on-going basis to work in various teams and programs at both West and East office locations. These opportunities include: Case Aide; Friendly Visitor; Peer Supporter; Program Assistant; Event Organizer and Supportive Counselors.
Key Volunteer Responsibilities:
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team as well as independently in an environment that values diversity
- Assist clients with the development of social skills and with activities such as: daily living (shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning), vocational activities, finding housing, social recreation, use of computer, etc., according to the client’s needs
- Adhere to policies and procedures and ensure confidentiality at all times
- Ability to take direction and feedback as required
- Ability to demonstrate a non-homophobic and anti-racism approach
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Experience in community mental health, professional or personal knowledge of the mental health system, or a willingness to learn
- Educational background, work experience or prior volunteer experience in mental health, social services or a related field
- Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
- 20 years of age or older
- Enjoy working with others, able and willing to teach any of the following independent living skills: budgeting, shopping, resume writing, use of public transportation, cooking etc.
- Lived experience / contact with mental health system is a requirement for Peer Supporter
- Appropriate certification and licensing to practice in Ontario is a requirement for Support Counsellors
Toronto West Office located at 700 Lawrence Ave West Suite 480 Toronto ON M6A 3B4
Toronto East Office located at 1200 Markham Road Suite 500 Scarborough ON M1H 3C3
Volunteers are asked to make a commitment of a minimum of 3 hours to a maximum of 15 hours per week for a minimum of one year. The majority of the time is spent offering services to clients in the community.
Volunteers will receive classroom and field training on the role of volunteers, mental illness, rehabilitation, communication skills, problem solving skills, teaching activities of daily living, safety and security awareness, and cultural sensitivity. in-depth training in rehabilitation. Volunteers will be supervised by a team/program staff member on a regular basis, and the Volunteer Program Coordinator, who will be available for support and consultation during office hours.
Please submit VOLUNTEER-APPLICATION FORM along with resume by mail, e-mail or fax to:
Volunteer Program Coordinator
Canadian Mental Health Association – Toronto Branch
1200 Markham Road, Suite 500
Scarborough, ON M1H 3C3
Fax: 416 289 6843
The Canadian Mental Health Association is an equal opportunity employer.